Yesterday I spent the whole day working on a John Travolta painting. I think I am going to be stuck in this "pop art" phase for a while because I really like the results. =) I found a picture of John Travolta from Grease and decided to try it.
Here is what it looked like once I got it drawn out on the canvas:
Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of each step this time....FAIL. But here is a picture of the final product:
For some reason Blogger is fighting with me and won't put the photo the right direction. But you get the idea!!
I don't think it turned out as nice as the Marilyn Monroe painting did but I don't think its too bad. At least you can tell who it's supposed to be (i hope!)!
I had a little bit more trouble with this painting for two reasons:
- I had more shades of color in this one. With the Marilyn Monroe painting I used only grey, black, white, and the background color. With this one I added an extra shade of grey so that made it take a little longer than expected
- The main reason I think I had more trouble is because I used a different brand of paint than I usually do. Normally I use Utrecht or Liquitex but this time, my husband and I found a black and white on sale for pretty cheap so we decided to give it a try. I learned that things go on sale for a reason.
This is a picture of the kind of paint I normally use, just in case you want to try it out for yourself.
Here is a picture of the "Sale" brand paint that we bought. Maybe it's just because I am so used to Utrecht and Liquitex types of paint that it just didn't work to well for me. It just didn't seem to want to lay right for me. I had to continually go back and repaint sections because it was too thin...and other areas seemed to get a glossy look. It made me pretty grumpy to say the least.